<BGSOUND SRC="taps.mid">

Officer Merle Lee Andrews
CHP - South Los Angeles

Officer Andrews was pursuing a stolen vehicle whose driver was the subject of an all points bulletin being sought for robbery and kidnapping. Andrews stopped the subject and radioed for backup. When he approached the suspect vehicle with his weapon drawn, the driver opened fire killing the officer. Merle had made his last roll call December 20, 1967.

Ora E. Strait
Private First Class, U.S. Army, SN 35095818
120th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
Entered the Service from: Indiana
Died: July 31, 1944
Buried at: Plot H Row 6 Grave 27
Normandy American Cemetery
St. Laurent-sur-Mer, France
Awards: Purple Heart

Beginning July 25, 1944 the 30th Infantry Division took part in one of the war's most memorable actions, the St. Lo breakthrough. Ora was killed six days into that action. The only known survivor of his squad reported that Ora was killed by a German sniper hidden in the trees.

This cemetery is at the north end of its one half mile access road and covers one hundred and seventy two acres. It contains the graves of 9,386 American military dead, most of whom gave their lives during the landings and ensuing operations of World War II.

Ernest Carrol "Buddy" Porterfield
April 9, 1922 - January 8, 2002

"After emerging from extensive repairs at Mare Island, we went south to Wotje. One of our pilots was Martin Dana, a good pilot who had been an instructor in Jacksonville, Fla. I rode rear cockpit with him. Japs had been bombarding the Island, and we had a call that a Navy fighter was down. Dana and I flew out. We saw him in the water and threw down a flare. Dana landed, I got the pilot into the rear cockpit, threw out my parachute and machine gun to reduce fuel consumption, and we made it back to the Salt Lake. I proudly received the US Air Medal Award."

(At the time of the above incident during World War Two, Buddy was serving aboard the USS Salt Lake City moving in the North Pacific in the vicinity of the Marshall Islands which were heavily garrisoned by the Japanese. He was a Air Radioman First Class (ARM1C), enlisted on flight status. These small amphibious scout planes, on which he was a radioman, the Curtis Seagull SOC1 or SOC2, were scarcely large enough to accommodate the pilot and his radioman. They were light enough to be catapulted from this heavy cruiser's deck for takeoff and were retrieved from the ocean by a crane. One wonders how they were large enough to take a third person rescued from the ocean.)

William Edward Myers
1914 - 2004
WWII, Private First Class, US Army
Combat Infantryman and POW, France and Rhineland
Purple Heart(3)
Two Bronze Battle Stars
Combat Infantry Badge
Honorary Lifetime Officer in The French Army

Billy was captured twice by the Germans, having been freed by or aided in his escape both times by the French. He was with the French Resistance engaging in "fire fights" while separated from his unit. This is probably the reason he was made an honorary officer in the French Army many years after the war.

Merle Dallas Myers

Merle was drafted at the age of 36 in World War Two. He had a wife and three children at the time.

Warren Lee Reynolds (1933-2003)

Hometown, Perryville, KY., served with the USAF during the Korean War and the Cold War.

T.C.(1927-1990) enlisted in the US Navy at the age of 16 during World War Two.

Michael, a former member of the 30th Communications Squadron, Offutt AFB, Omaha, Nebraska is interred at the Tabor Cemetery, Tabor, Iowa.

Michael Stafko at Offutt AFB in the early 50s

Imogene Russell Wheat (1922-2005)

A native of Jackson, Kentucky who served with the Army Nursing Corps during WWII.

Albert Corden (1920-2006) performed meritorious service in Europe during World War II and was a POW in Holland.

On December 11, 1985, a Douglas DC-8 departed Cairo enroute to Campbell Air Force Base, Kentucky via Germany and Gander, Newfoundland. On board were eight crew and 248 passengers. The 248 passengers were members of the 101st Airborne Division, United States Army, who had been on peace keeping duties in the Sinai Desert.

As the plane departed Gander, it failed to gain altitude and crashed about a half mile beyond the end of the runway. The aircraft was destroyed by the impact and the fuel-fed fire. All 256 occupants on board lost their lives. The crash was the worst air disaster ever in Canada.

This memorial was designed by Lorne Rostotski of St. John's, Newfoundland and sculpted by Stephen Shields of Hopkinsville, Kentucky. It depicts an unarmed soldier standing atop a massive rock holding the hands of two civilian children. The children, a boy and a girl, each hold an olive branch, denoting the peace keeping mission of the 101st Airborne Division "Screaming Eagles" in the Sinai Peninsula.

The trio, surrounded by trees, hills, and rocks of the crash site looks into the future, beyond Gander Lake and in the direction of Fort Campbell, Kentucky. These surroundings are witness to the moment when many young dreams ended and the hearts and imagination of grateful nations were captured.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the mornings hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die.
~Unknown Author~

Active Guestbook Active

View Second Guestbook Archive (Dates 08/11/04 through 09/13/07)

View First Guestbook Archive (Dates through 06/12/04)

Part of a Web Site Constructed by
Albert J. Wheat
9529 Parker St.
Omaha, NE 68114

E-Mail me

Return to Home Page